Values Based® Leadership
Developed by Kelly Gerling, the leadership development system called Values Based® Leadership or VBL provides organizations with ready access to important leadership skills.
For a summary of this work at one of my client's websites, a fire department, look here.
Leadership always shows up in the actions great leaders take—outer, visible skills. And that creates a problem. Traditional management and leadership training programs emphasize outer skills such as coaching, making presentations, and problem-solving. Yet learning these outer skills alone won't necessarily help people improve as leaders. Values-Based® Leadership, or VBL, remedies this situation by focusing both on enhancing outer skills, leadership skills.
"This system of Values Based® Leadership is used by organizations, companies, and agencies to help leaders develop better skills—inner skills for enhancing thinking and emotions, and outer skills for enhancing behavior. Together these inner and outer skills blend into a synthesis of thinking called leadership intelligence."
This approach of developing leadership from the inside out will help leaders use their skills naturally and wisely. Here is what Values Based® Leadership will help you accomplish for yourself and your organization:
- Integrate effective leadership thinking and communication skills into daily job responsibilities.
- Develop a usable mission that describes the fundamental purpose of your organization and a vision of the future that describes where your organization wants to go and what it wants to do. Instead of having a mission and vision that are mere platitudes, learn to make them practical, operating like a constitution for your organization.
- Implement effective leadership processes so people take responsibility for achieving the objectives of your organization and practicing organizational values, beliefs, and principles.
- Enhance communication, effectively resolve conflicts, and further develop team spirit.
- Improve levels of trust and respect throughout your organization.
- Mediate conflicts to increase productivity.
- Identify values, principles, and strategies within the organization that relate to fulfilling your organization's vision.
- Prevent episodes of destructive behavior that perpetuate cycles of negativity, erode trust, and reduce open and honest communication in the group.
- Help participants recognize that becoming a better leader means becoming a better group member.
- Utilize leadership skills learned in Values-Based Leadership training, and exercise discipline in practicing those skills on a daily basis.
- Create an attractive, shared future for yourself and others.
- Establish open and honest communication about problems and disagreements among the top team at the company.
- Help people throughout the organization deal with stressful situations.
- Learn to help others lead themselves, to create a context that enables leaders to emerge everywhere.
This system of Values Based® Leadership is used by organizations, companies, and agencies to help leaders develop better skills—inner skills for enhancing thinking and emotions, and outer skills for enhancing behavior. Together these inner and outer skills blend into a synthesis of thinking called leadership intelligence.
This system is something you can use right away on this website. Under Theory and Practice > Organizational Change Flowcharts, you can access my VBL flowcharts and their situation-based methods for activating inner and outer skills.